[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PIX 7.2 Vs m0n0wall
 Date:  Wed, 31 Mar 2010 19:12:33 -0400
On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Jimmy Bones (Mhottie)
<mhottie at gmail dot com> wrote:
> Hey Manuel and Guys,
>
> Been using m0n0 for a long time now and happy to see 1.31 out.
>
> This has been asked many times in the past (last reference I could find was
> in 2006) and I think we should re-visit the topic briefly.
>
> PIX Vs m0n0wall -
>
> You can get PIX OS 7.2 on the 506e hardware easily. This is a Pentium III
> 300 (600 in my case) and 256mb Ram (upgradeable comes with 32mb).
>
> Using 7.2 as a reference point and m0n0 1.31 - can we can get a good
> compare/contrast/performance going for this?

Things really haven't changed since it was last discussed. As with any
two different solutions you're comparing, the PIX can do some things
m0n0wall can't, and the reverse is true as well. It depends on what
you specifically need in your network as to which is a better fit, or
whether either would suffice.