[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Sierchio <kudzu at tenebras dot com>
 To:  M0n0wall list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic shaper TOS and DSCP bits
 Date:  Fri, 16 Apr 2010 08:32:57 -0700
Michael wrote:

> Referring to the page '/firewall_shaper_edit.php', there are
> several choices for 'IP Type of Service':
>
>   lowdelay
>   throughput
>   reliability
>   mincost
>   congestion
>
> It seems that recent RFCs [1] have outdated the classical TOS
> semantics used by the most recent M0n0wall release. I'm trying
> to match DSCP class selector 5 (CS5) and am confused about the
> mapping to the older TOS bits. A document [2] on such mapping
> helps a little.

Have you looked at actual traffic to see if these bits are being
used according to the newer semantics?  In general, I don't see
this.  This information is useful for routing, esp. fragmented
packets, but is of very little importance to controlling bandwidth
utilization to and from your endpoint users.

Also remember that m0n0wall doesn't offer priority queuing, it
uses WFQ2+ - weighted fair queuing that only comes into play
when queues are full.