[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Uwe Dippel <udippel at uniten dot edu dot my>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  No NAT with embedded-1.32.img - Why?
 Date:  Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:13:50 +0800
I'm new here, but not in networking.

I have set the following on my Soekris 4801:

WAN interface:
Status up
172.20.16.207/255.255.255.0
Gateway 172.20.16.1

I can ping the outside from the serial console, including FQDNs; so
there is name resolution.
Media is 100baseTX <full-duplex>

LAN interface:
Status up
10.10.42.1/255.255.255.0

I can use the webGUI from the LAN, so everything should be okay: reach
m0n0wall from the inside, and reach the outside from m0nowall.

But: No way to get to the outside from the LAN, everything times out,
ping, http, imap ... .

I have tried all, including unblocking 'private networks'.
I don't think I have to do any settings for NAT, I only want outgoing?

I rebooted  a few times, including setting the outside to DHCP, and
everything is the same: all sides work independently, but no outgoing
traffic at all. The automatic NAT rule is
WAN 10.10.42.0/24 * *
and looks good to me.

Is this a bug? I ask, because I seem to be in good company:
http://forum.m0n0.ch/index.php/topic,3968.0.html
"After numerous reboots it just seemed to start working!" seems a bad
way to debug this problem.

I have tried with 'Advanced outbound NAT' on and off, with proxy-ARP
because of becoming desperate; did a factory reset on the serial
console, and setting everything again (DHCP, see above).
No success.

Any hint appreciated,

Uwe