[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "John Stoffel" <john at stoffel dot org>
 To:  <atmlogic at kmts dot ca>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VMWare m0n0 NIC setup?
 Date:  Thu, 6 May 2010 23:46:36 -0400
Andrew> I have always ran the basic PC hardware m0n0 boxes, but I am
Andrew> getting tired of them dying every 3 years...  ;-) So I want to
Andrew> move to virtual.

Or maybe you want to got solid state with something that doesn't have
any moving parts?  I've got a PCengines box with a 32mb CF card which
just sits there and runs and runs and runs... I've rebooted it maybe
three times in that past, I dunno... five years?  I can't even say how
many times it might have been hit by a power failure.

It's low power, simple and just works.  I wouldn't bother with VMware
images, just because you've now made your Internet experience depend
on an even more expensive and complicated piece of hardware.

John