[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Weird thing happens since m0n0wall 1.3
 Date:  Wed, 19 May 2010 11:17:12 +0100
Hi,

<rbasuki at gdincorporation dot com> wrote:
> Here is the weird thing I found from my experiences building 3 monowalls
> with 3 different boards and for sure realtek 8139D.
> I found this when I tried to test the LAN Card health by switching LAN
> interface.
>
> This is what I did. First, I assigned rl0 as LAN and rl1 as WAN. I plug
in
> the LAN cable and it worked great. Now, I wanna test the other LAN Card
by
> switching the LAN to rl1 and WAN to rl0, then I plugged the same LAN
Cable
> to the rl1 and rebooted the m0n0wall. Then It does not work at all. The
LAN
> cannot be accessed.
>
> Then I shut the m0n0wall completely and unplug all the power cables and
> sometimes I even restore the factory setting/reimage the m0n0wall then I
> set
> the rl1 as LAN and rl0 as WAN and plug the same LAN cable to rl1 and it
> worked great. Then I changed the interface again rl0 to LAN and rl1 to
WAN
> and plug the same LAN cable to rl0 and rebooted the m0n0wall, now the
rl0
> cannot be accessed.
>
> Sometimes when I used different cable (ie: use different port in the
> switch), it works. But a lot of time require me to either shutdown the
> m0n0wall completely or to reset to factory model. Sometimes I need to
wait
> few minutes (like 15 to 20 minutes) before the new interface setting can
be
> used.
>
> Can anyone explain this? This never happened to me when I used m0n0wall
> 1.22. But I need the voucher feature from m0n0wall 1.32.

This sounds very much like you are not clearing your ARP caches when
switching the interfaces around.  The switch database should sort itself
out but you will definitely need to clear the ARP cache on the machine you
are testing from in order to see m0n0wall.  And you will probably need to
clear the ARP caches on the devices on the other side of your m0n0wall.

HTH,

Neil.