[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  m0n0wall at bokler dot com
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  hostap vs BSS modes
 Date:  Sat, 10 Jul 2010 06:14:02 -0500 (CDT)
I have m0n0wall up and running on an ALIX platform. I am using it to
firewall my home network from the ISP's cable modem. I've added my
wireless card as an interface.

I've read the documentation re setup & configuration for the wireless
interface, but I'm afraid that I am missing something fundamental...
here's my problem:

I am under the impression that the preferred wireless mode is BSS
(infrasructure mode). However, I can not get this to work. From the
"Interfaces" page for the wireless interface, I set "Enable", "none" for
bridging, and "BSS" for mode. However, when I check "Status" of
"Interfaces" I see "no carrier" for the wireless interface. Nothing I've
tried will bring this interface up.

OTOH, if I set "hostap" as the mode, and "LAN" bridging, the status of the
wireless interface is "associated", and I can connect to the Internet
using the wireless interface on one of my laptop PCs.

What have I missed? Why can I not bring the wireless interface up in BSS
mode? Or, am I mis-informed re BSS mode... is hostap the "right" mode to
use?

Thanks for any enlightenment!

Best Rgds,
JM