[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at bokler dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] hostap vs BSS modes
 Date:  Sat, 10 Jul 2010 18:05:10 +0200
On 10.07.2010, at 13:14, m0n0wall at bokler dot com wrote:

> OTOH, if I set "hostap" as the mode, and "LAN" bridging, the status of the wireless interface is
"associated", and I can connect to the Internet using the wireless interface on one of my laptop
PCs.

> What have I missed? Why can I not bring the wireless interface up in BSS mode? Or, am I
mis-informed re BSS mode... is hostap the "right" mode to use?

BSS mode means that m0n0wall will act as a client to an existing wireless network, whereas with
hostap it will act as an access point by itself. So hostap is the right mode to use in your
situation. Maybe we should use clearer (less BSD specific) terminology in the next version...

- Manuel