[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Steve Yates <steve at teamITS dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] RE: Upgrading 1.2 to 1.3
 Date:  Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:56:13 -0500
Chris Buechler wrote on Fri, Jul 16 2010 at 3:40 pm:

> You need advanced outbound NAT with bridging in 1.3x because of the
> way bridging functions differently in newer FreeBSD versions.
> Otherwise the traffic out of the bridged interface gets NATed which
> causes all kinds of issues.

	OK, will try then when we get things settled.  We weren't using NAT at all before (other than the
LAN interface having an IP but not being connected) so thought it was just a simple reboot to
upgrade.  In fact the docs say it's not necessary:

"Therefore, if you are using public IP addresses on any of the interfaces behind your m0n0wall (with
the exception of bridged interfaces) you need to change m0n0wall's default NAT behavior by enabling
advanced outbound NAT."

We have:

WAN - public IP block
LAN - private block
OPT1 - bridged to WAN

My PC, for instance, is behind a router, on OPT1.  The router has an IP from the public IP block.

 - Steve Yates
 - ITS, Inc.
 - For every vision there is an equal and opposite revision.

~ Taglines by Taglinator: www.srtware.com ~