[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Appliance to install m0n0wall on
 Date:  Sat, 17 Jul 2010 22:07:23 -0400
On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Nathaniel B. Lyon
<nate dot lyon at nfldwifi dot net> wrote:
> Hello,

appliances that can be purchased, but were kind of wanting something more under the hood in terms of
CPU speed and memory.

> Right now with our current firewall we are averaging roughly 400Mbps, peaking at just under

You have that backwards - you'll need server class hardware to get
gigabit wire speed. There are some appliances that can achieve gigabit
wire speed or close to it, ones that basically put a server class
board inside of an appliance type chassis, such as Nexcom. An average
HP/Dell/whatever server is no different and quite a bit cheaper.
"Appliance" is nothing more than a form factor really, it's all x86
hardware.

Also you'll almost certainly need a custom built m0n0wall image,
ipfilter's state table size is hard coded at compile time, default is
30000. At that kind of throughput you're likely over 100,000 states.