[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Roberto Greiner <mrgreiner at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] IPv6, DHCP and DNS
 Date:  Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:17:19 -0300
Hi,

According to what written in the DHCP server page, "**The DNS servers
entered in System: General setup <https://200.144.188.132/system.php>
(or the DNS forwarder <https://200.144.188.132/services_dnsmasq.php>, if
enabled) will be assigned to clients by the DHCP server". The problem
is, I have my IPv6 DNS addresses (first one is IPv4, second and third
are IPv6) set in the DNS servers field of the System: General Setup
page, but the client behind Monowall is not receiving those addresses.

To verify if the DNSs are IPv6 reachable, I used the comand "host -6
<name> <DNS IPv6 address>", and it worked fine. "host -6 <name>" died
with a timeout.

I also tried removing all IPv4 DNS from the System: General setup page,
leaving only IPv6 addresses. After a DHCP renew, the client still solves
names only via IPv4, using the Monowall IPv4 LAN address.  Forcing the
IPv6 DNS address in the "host -9 <name> <dns server>" command works,
using both the IPv6 LAN Monowall address and the also directly the DNS
address.

So, everything is indicating to me that there is a bug in the IPv6 dhcp
code that is not forwarding IPv6 DNS addresses.

Roberto

On 27/07/2010 15:16, Roberto Greiner wrote:
>  Hi,
>

> I would like to make monowall to give (via DHCP) to the clients also

> for this? So far, with my current configuration, the clients are
> receiving only the IPv4 DNS address, so all the DNS traffic is still
> running on IPv4 instead of IPv6. Any ideas on how/where to set this?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Roberto Greiner

                 Marcos Roberto Greiner

    Os otimistas acham que estamos no melhor dos mundos
     Os pessimistas tem medo de que isto seja verdade
                                   James Branch Cabell