[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  John Ackermann N8UR <jra at febo dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Multiple subnets/single interface
 Date:  Sat, 31 Jul 2010 18:02:18 -0400
I'm using m0n0wall v1.32 on a net5501 in a fairly normal configuration
-- talking to a cable router with /29 static (5 usable IPs) on the WAN
side, and a private network using 10.x.x.x/16 on the LAN.  All works as
expected.

But every so often I get a new network widget with a web interface for
configuration.  Invariably, the device has a default address of
192.168.something.

It would be nice to be able to plug these devices into the same wire as
the main network for initial configuration -- I would use that access to
move them into the primary address space for production.

I thought I could use secondary IPs on the LAN to accomplish this.  The
primary address on the LAN interface is 10.x.1.1/16 so I as an
experiment I added a secondary of 192.168.1.254/24.  That would, I
thought, allow devices on the two IP nets to coexist on the same wire.

However, this doesn't create a route between the two IP spaces.  Pings
from the 10.x side to the 192.168.1 side get sent out the WAN interface
rather than on the LAN.  How can I add routes so that the two IP nets on
the same physical wire can talk to each other?

I know that this would be inefficient for full time use, but for this
limited purpose of initial configuration that shouldn't be an issue and
this would be a neat hack to ease configuring with new widgets.

Thanks,

John