[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Roberto Greiner <mrgreiner at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Possible bug with IPv6
 Date:  Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:33:28 -0300
hi,

I would like to know if there anyone seeing this, because, as far I can
tell, is a show stopper for IPv6 (at least, I think it is).

I was making some tests to enable IPv6 on my network, but got the

and both gave the same results.

entered in System: General setup  (or the DNS forwarder, if enabled)
will be assigned to clients by the DHCP server".

The problem is, I have my IPv6 DNS addresses (first one is IPv4, second
and third are IPv6) set in the DNS servers field of the System: General
Setup page, but the clients behind Monowall are not receiving IPv6
addresses, only the monowall LAN IPv4 address.

To verify if the DNSs are IPv6 reachable to my Debian client, I used the
command "host -6 <name> <DNS IPv6 address>", and it worked fine. "host
-6 <name>" died with a timeout.
I also tried removing all IPv4 DNS from the System: General setup page,
leaving only IPv6 addresses. After a DHCP renew, the client still solves
names only via IPv4, using the Monowall IPv4 LAN address.  Forcing the
IPv6 DNS address in the "host -6 <name> <dns server>" command works,
using both the IPv6 LAN Monowall address and also directly the DNS address.

So, everything is indicating to me that there is a bug in the IPv6 dhcp
code that is not forwarding IPv6 DNS addresses.

Tks,

Roberto

                 Marcos Roberto Greiner

    Os otimistas acham que estamos no melhor dos mundos
     Os pessimistas tem medo de que isto seja verdade
                                   James Branch Cabell