[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Jai Ketteridge <jai at vtn dot net dot au>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Traffic Flow Issue Due to Initial ARP Resolution
 Date:  Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:25:41 +0800
Hi Guys, I have a small issue with a current monowall installation.

I am currently running the latest PC image as  a HyperV virtual machine, and I get no dataflow to
the LAN of the HOST until I ping it from the monowall console. This is because there is no ARP
record of the Host LAN IP in monowall at the time. I cannot ping monowall from the Host until I do
this either, it will not resolve and times out.

Once the ping is done from monowall, it works fine, and an ARP record is recorded. To combat this I
have tried adding a <shellcmd> into the XML file without success, after restarting the monowall it
no longer works. This is a big problem as all my eggs are in 1 basket with this setup so remote
management after a reboot is impossible unless I log into monowall first. Is my shellcmd in the
right place?

<?xml version="1.0"?>
                                                <private-key>PRIVATE KEY</private-key>
                                <shellcmd>arp -s xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx permanent</shellcmd>

I have intentionally masked the MAC

Thank you!