[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jai Ketteridge <jai at vtn dot net dot au>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Traffic Flow Issue Due to Initial ARP Resolution
 Date:  Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:25:41 +0800
Hi Guys, I have a small issue with a current monowall installation.

I am currently running the latest PC image as  a HyperV virtual machine, and I get no dataflow to
the LAN of the HOST until I ping it from the monowall console. This is because there is no ARP
record of the Host LAN IP in monowall at the time. I cannot ping monowall from the Host until I do
this either, it will not resolve and times out.

Once the ping is done from monowall, it works fine, and an ARP record is recorded. To combat this I
have tried adding a <shellcmd> into the XML file without success, after restarting the monowall it
no longer works. This is a big problem as all my eggs are in 1 basket with this setup so remote
management after a reboot is impossible unless I log into monowall first. Is my shellcmd in the
right place?

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<m0n0wall>
                <version>1.8</version>
                <lastchange>1280947517</lastchange>
                <system>
                                <hostname>firewall</hostname>
                                <domain>local</domain>
                                <dnsallowoverride/>
                                <username>USERNAME</username>
                                <password>PASSWORD</password>
                                <timezone>Australia/Perth</timezone>
                                <time-update-interval>300</time-update-interval>
                                <timeservers>1.m0n0wall.pool.ntp.org</timeservers>
                                <webgui>
                                                <protocol>https</protocol>
                                                <port>PORT</port>
                                                <certificate>cert</certificate>
                                                <private-key>PRIVATE KEY</private-key>
                                                <mbmon>
                                                                <type>C</type>
                                                </mbmon>
                                                <expanddiags/>
                                </webgui>
                                <harddiskstandby/>
                                <shellcmd>arp -s 10.10.0.2 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx permanent</shellcmd>
                </system>

I have intentionally masked the MAC

Thank you!
Jai