[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Jai Ketteridge <jai at vtn dot net dot au>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic Flow Issue Due to Initial ARP Resolution
 Date:  Mon, 13 Sep 2010 00:50:57 -0400
On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:25 AM, Jai Ketteridge <jai at vtn dot net dot au> wrote:
> Hi Guys, I have a small issue with a current monowall installation.

the LAN of the HOST until I ping it from the monowall console. This is because there is no ARP
record of the Host LAN IP in monowall at the time. I cannot ping monowall from the Host until I do
this either, it will not resolve and times out.

> Once the ping is done from monowall, it works fine, and an ARP record is recorded. To combat this
I have tried adding a <shellcmd> into the XML file without success, after restarting the monowall it
no longer works. This is a big problem as all my eggs are in 1 basket with this setup so remote
management after a reboot is impossible unless I log into monowall first. Is my shellcmd in the
right place?

Yeah that's correct. That issue is just one of many you're going to
hit though. You aren't going to have much if any luck with m0n0wall in
hyper-v, the old FreeBSD 6.4 version it uses doesn't work right in
hyper-v. Even the 7.x releases have some issues with NICs, though
hacking in a script to do an extra ifconfig down/up after boot and
forcing speed and duplex works around that to some extent (afterwards
it will randomly flake out every few weeks though). The first FreeBSD
release that works reliably without any hacks or work arounds on
hyper-v is 8.0. When I've needed something in hyper-v I use pfsense
2.0 which is based on FreeBSD 8.1, and it works great. First one I did
has been in production for almost a year now with no issues. Should
see a m0n0wall release with that base OS at some point. In the mean
time, m0n0wall isn't going to be a good solution in hyper-v
unfortunately.