[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Installation with no keyboard
 Date:  Sat, 02 Oct 2010 11:30:05 -0400
On 10/02/2010 10:39 AM, Joe wrote:
> Is there any way to install m0n0wall without any keyboard or serial access?

Yes, and there are a few options...  None easy. :)

> I have Linux installed on another of these machines and this is the
> 'lspci' report on the Ethernet controllers:
> 00:08.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
> 00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet
> Pro 100 (rev 0c)

In FreeBSD those will be rt0 and fxp0.

> I found an earlier thread where it looked like someone was able to get
> m0n0wall to automatically detect the NIC and he was able to use the web
> GUI.
> It looked like the specific controller made a difference which allowed
> m0n0wall to just work with it.

I have not see this, and do not know how it could work.

> I can install the m0n0wall disk as a second disk in my Linux system.

 > ** Is there a way to choose one of the above NICs by mounting the image
 > in Linux and editing something?

No good.  There is no linux driver for this filesystem.  You need a
FreeBSD system to mount the compressed filesystem.  At that point you
can mount the image to change both the current config, and the default
config so you are not in this situation again.

> Is there any other way, like some sort of a rebuild of m0n0wall?
> That sounds like quite a bit more involved, so of course easier is better.

Once you mount it, you can change it.  Not as bad as you think.

> I just had another thought: would I be able to mount the disk in a
> virtual machine and configure it? I don't currently have any virtual
> machine, but would be willing to try and set one up if it might work.

No, but realtek and intel cards are cheap and plentiful.  You could
build a system with both, configure it, and then stick the disk in the
headless box.  That would be the easiest way if you have the spare hardware.

			Lee