[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Toni <bsd underscore ml at tiveron dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Installation with no keyboard
 Date:  Sat, 02 Oct 2010 19:11:40 +0200
At 16:39 02-10-10, Joe wrote:
>Is there any way to install m0n0wall without any keyboard or serial access?
>
>I have a number of Toshiba Magnia SG20 machines, so I am trying to
>configure m0n0wall on them.
>
>** I have the image installed on the hard disk, but can't get the
>Ethernet ports configured.
>
>There is no serial port.
>There is no USB or PS2, so no keyboard access.
>
>There is an LCD panel on the front, which scrolls the boot messages
>as if it were a VGA monitor.
>It stops at "Enter a number:"
>
>I have Linux installed on another of these machines and this is the
>'lspci' report on the Ethernet controllers:
>00:08.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
>RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
>00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1
>Ethernet Pro 100 (rev 0c)
{snip}
Yes there is a way:
you have to prepare the following:
a pc w/ the same card in it (no matter if you have onboard another one)
Then configure it via console (as usual)

Final step: copy the configuration on the image you are going to
write: this way m0n0wall will be already configured to work w/ those
interfaces :)
(indeed just configuring one as lan should be enough)

(btw I remember I found, time ago, someone that was able to hook a
keyboard to a SG20)