[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] weird kernel messages on m0n0wall 1.2.31
 Date:  Tue, 12 Oct 2010 16:41:21 -0400
On 10/12/2010 02:02 PM, Damir Simpovic wrote:
> /kernel: arp:<insert my outside ip here>  is on fxp0 but got reply from 00:21:d8:56:a8:3a on xl0

You have a network loop.  Somehow your outside network is also on your
inside network.  Look for a new Ethernet patch cord.

> m0n0wall  version  1.231 generic-pc (tried to upgrade it to the latest
> verison  but  for  some  reason  it  just reboots after a "successful"
> upgrade and remains 1.231)

You need to do a step upgrade as the 1.3x branch is too large to fit in
the space of the 1.2x branch.  You need to upgrade to 1.3b7 (If I
remember correctly) in between.

> so  far  the box itself was humming great without a single problem for
> years  however  the  company  moved  to another location and the telco
> moved  their  FO  line with the company a week ago and that's when the
> problems started.

During the move, someone plugged in something they should not have.

> hardware:
> 1.2GHz P3
> 128MB ram
> generic hdd
> 2  interfaces  (well, 3 but one is not physically connected I just put
> it  there  in  case  i  ever  needed it so I wouldn't need to take the
> machine out of the rack and break it apart)

Planning ahead is against company policy. ;)

			Lee