[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Guy Boisvert <guy dot boisvert at ingtegration dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Virtual LAN?
 Date:  Fri, 12 Nov 2010 15:11:17 -0500
> So,
>
> You can just use 2 Ethernet Card. One for WAN, and one for LAN and VLAN? And
> the switch must also support VLAN? Just to confirm. It seemed that I need to
> upgrade my current switch to the one that support VLAN.
>
> Thanks
> Rendra

First, please do not top post!

Ok, i can assist you with your need but first let's define it.  What do
you want to achieve exactly?

We use VLANs to separate broadcast domains (a switch already separate
collision domains).  You could see vlans as separate dumb switches (that
doesn't support VLANs).  2 VLANs on 1 managed switch would be equivalent
to 2 physical dumb switch.  VLANs are defined at layer 2 of the OSI model.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

Once you have segmented your network with VLANs (or separate physical
switches), you need to have a router to route packets between these
VLANs and possibly internet (you control traffic with the monowall
firewall via rules).  A router operate at layer 3 of the OSI model.

You can hook up a router to a switch and make it operate on many VLANs
by using the 802.1Q protocol.  This protocol prepend a 802.1Q header tag
to each fram that goes out of a port configured to use the 802.1Q
protocol.  When received by another ethernet interface that operate in
802.1Q mode, the 802.1Q header is checked and removed.  The receiver
then knows to what VLANs the incoming frame belongs and switch it to the
destination port.  In case of a broadcast, the receiving switch will
forward the frame to every ports belonging to the target VLAN and to the
other outgoing 802.1Q ports that were configured to pass the current VLAN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.1Q

So in your case, you would probably hook the "LAN" port of your monowall
to a managed switch.  You need to define the VLANs on your switch.  So
let's say i define VLANs ID 1, 2 and 3.  After doing that, i configure
the switch to operate the port 24 in 802.1Q mode.  I tell the switch to
"propagate" VLANs 1,2 and 3 through port 24.

For example on an HP ProCurve switch, use commands:

conf t
VLAN 1
tagged 24
VLAN 2
tagged 24
VLAN 3
tagged 24
quit
wr mem  (saves the config to flash to survive reboots!)

Then, i create VLANs ID 1, 2 and 3 on monowall and assign them to VLAN
port.  See pictures URLs:

http://img258.imageshack.us/i/monowallvlan1.png/
http://img703.imageshack.us/i/monowallvlan2.png/
http://img440.imageshack.us/i/monowallvlan3.png/
http://img573.imageshack.us/i/monowallvlan4.png/
http://img51.imageshack.us/i/monowallvlan5.png/
http://img87.imageshack.us/i/monowallvlan6.png/

Hope this helped!

--
Guy Boisvert, ing.
IngTegration inc.

par erreur, vous ne pouvez pas utiliser ou reproduire ce

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE : Proprietary/Confidential Information
belonging to IngTegration Inc. and its affiliates may be
contained in this message. If you are not a recipient
indicated or intended in this message (or responsible for
delivery of this message to such person), or you think for
any reason that this message may have been addressed to you
in error, you may not use or copy or deliver this message to
anyone else. In such case, you should destroy this message
and are asked to notify the sender by reply email.