[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Brian Lloyd <brian dash wb6rqn at lloyd dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  DHCP with 6to4
 Date:  Fri, 12 Nov 2010 13:56:56 -0800
I am running 6to4 which has been working just fine. Today I decided to change the IPv4 assigned
address range for DHCP. When I saved it I got an error message:

The specified IPv6 range lies outside of the current subnet (make sure the interface is configured
with an IPv6 address before you enable the DHCP server).

So using the 6to4 address assigned to the LAN interface, i.e. 2002:43a6:8258:1::1, I manually set
the range to be 2002:43a6:8258:1::14 to 2002:43a6:8258:1::fe. That is certainly within the IPv6
subnet assigned to the LAN interface. This did not work.

After some fiddling about I realized that the problem is in the UI. The IPv6 address range in the
DHCP server page is being checked against the entered (static) IPv6 address on the LAN interface
configuration page. With 6to4, no value is entered. My workaround was to statically set the IPv6
address of the LAN interface to the 6to4 address, setup DHCP to match, save the DHCP configuration,
then switch the LAN interface back to 6to4.

I think that there needs to be a check in the DHCP configuration so that, if the router is doing
6to4, the range is set to match the span (number of addresses assigned) of the IPv4 DHCP server, and
the subnet is picked up from the current IPv6 address in the LAN interface.

--
Brian Lloyd                         3191 Western Drive
brianl AT lloyd DOT com             Cameron Park, CA 95682

PGP key ID:          12095C52A32A1B6C
PGP key fingerprint: 3B1D BA11 4913 3254 B6E0  CC09 1209 5C52 A32A 1B6C