[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  jonr at destar dot net
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Virtual LAN?
 Date:  Mon, 15 Nov 2010 21:36:02 -0900
Quoting GD Incorporation <rbasuki at gdincorporation dot com>:

> However, I still want to confirm few things, can anyone helped me:
> 1. If I use 2 switches, do I still need to use VLAN Supported switches?
> Based on the pictures you sent me it seemed I do :) Please confirm me on
> this.
> 2. If I use 2 switches, would this be the correct structure? (I only have 2
> LAN CARDS, one for WAN, and one for LAN). At the bottom picture, should I
> connect the switch 1 to switch 2 by LAN?
>
> Please help?
>    Internet
>   ADSL Modem
>  m0n0wall WAN - m0n0wall LAN --> switch 1 --> open users
>                                    --> switch 2 --> restricted users
>

> 3. If the structure above is correct, then I would need only 1 Switch to
> support VLAN (Switch 1). Is this correct?
>
> Thank you so much.
> Rendra

Rendra,

To some top=posting is a sin and you might be in danger of eternal
hell fire and losing your immortal soul if you continue doing it. So,
what you will want to do is post below any replies and trim out
everything that does not pertain to your next question in the thread.

So, on to your questions.

Question 1: Yes, get yourself a couple of new switches that support
VLAN. Let your boss know that he will need to pony up and buy new
switches to achieve what he wants. Otherwise all the traffic will be
able to be sniffed and you will have no real security, just packets
with vlan tags that dont do anything. This is a perfect time for you
to get these switches and be able to expand your networking knowledge
by being able to play with better hardware at no expense to you. :)

Question 2: That would work. When you connect both switches together
you will create what is known as a trunk. All that is is a link that
can pass all VLAN traffic between the switches.

Question 3: Well yes but why? For under 400 dollars US you can have
two new switches that support VLANs. Don't let this opportunity pass
you by. If you do, invariably what will happen is, you will in about
2-3 months down the road want to do something that will require the
other switch to support VLANs.

It is easer to have them pay for what you need now then to try and
nickel and dime them later.

Jon