[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  GD Incorporation <rbasuki at gdincorporation dot com>
 To:  "'Lee Sharp'" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Virtual LAN?
 Date:  Sat, 20 Nov 2010 09:24:21 +0700
-----Original Message-----
From: Lee Sharp [mailto:leesharp at hal dash pc dot org]
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2010 9:03 PM
To: m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch

On 11/17/2010 09:09 PM, GD Incorporation wrote:
> Dear Lee:
>
> Lee Sharp's Quote:
> --------------------------------
>> Than you need a 3rd nic.  To support multiple interfaces, you either
>> need
> multiple interfaces, or vlan aware equipment.
>
> I think I will just add the 3rd NIC and then set that 3rd NIC as VLAN
> and limit user access from there :)

If you add a 3rd nic, it is another LAN called "opt1" in the system.  A VLAN
is more then one network on a given interface.  Your plane is good, but
either your terminology or your understanding is still faulty.  I just want
to be sure you are making a fully informed choice.

			Lee

Hi Lee

I think my undestanding was rather faulty. But I understand that you need
VLAN capable Switch to do VLAN tagging. However, from some people's advices
I think I want to try installing 3rd NIC for the opt1 LAN interface. Then I
will connect all the groups that is not supposed to go to the internet on
the opt-1 NIC and control their access. Would that be a cheaper solution
than buying VLAN Capable Switch?

Thanks
Rendra