[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Virtual LAN?
 Date:  Sat, 20 Nov 2010 11:52:16 -0500
On 11/19/2010 09:24 PM, GD Incorporation wrote:

> I think my undestanding was rather faulty. But I understand that you need
> VLAN capable Switch to do VLAN tagging. However, from some people's advices
> I think I want to try installing 3rd NIC for the opt1 LAN interface. Then I
> will connect all the groups that is not supposed to go to the internet on
> the opt-1 NIC and control their access. Would that be a cheaper solution
> than buying VLAN Capable Switch?

It will be cheaper, have better performance if the network is heavely
loaded, have much better security, and better segmentation in teh event
of a major problem. (Like someone plunging an Ethernet cord into 2
outlets... Last Friday... <sigh>)  It is how I do it, and I have vlan
capable switches.

			Lee