[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Guy Boisvert <guy dot boisvert at ingtegration dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Virtual LAN?
 Date:  Sat, 20 Nov 2010 15:40:42 -0500
> On 11/19/2010 09:24 PM, GD Incorporation wrote:
>
>> I think my undestanding was rather faulty. But I understand that you
>> need
>> VLAN capable Switch to do VLAN tagging. However, from some people's
>> advices
>> I think I want to try installing 3rd NIC for the opt1 LAN interface.
>> Then I
>> will connect all the groups that is not supposed to go to the
>> internet on
>> the opt-1 NIC and control their access. Would that be a cheaper solution
>> than buying VLAN Capable Switch?
>
> It will be cheaper, have better performance if the network is heavely
> loaded, have much better security, and better segmentation in teh
> event of a major problem. (Like someone plunging an Ethernet cord into
> 2 outlets... Last Friday... <sigh>)  It is how I do it, and I have
> vlan capable switches.
>
>             Lee

Don't go too cheap!  I recommand that you go with a managed switch
anyway.  You'll be able to debug network related problem starting from
level 1 of ISO 7 layers reference model!  With a managed switch, you'll
be able to see errors generated by faulty nic / cable / duplex mismatch,
etc. and have flexibility for the future.

--
Guy Boisvert, ing.
IngTegration inc.

par erreur, vous ne pouvez pas utiliser ou reproduire ce

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE : Proprietary/Confidential Information
belonging to IngTegration Inc. and its affiliates may be
contained in this message. If you are not a recipient
indicated or intended in this message (or responsible for
delivery of this message to such person), or you think for
any reason that this message may have been addressed to you
in error, you may not use or copy or deliver this message to
anyone else. In such case, you should destroy this message
and are asked to notify the sender by reply email.