[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  YvesDM <ydmlog at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Internet does not reach the branch via wireless
 Date:  Wed, 1 Dec 2010 07:47:05 +0100
On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 5:32 AM, GD Incorporation
<rbasuki at gdincorporation dot com> wrote:
> Dear m0n0wall experts
>
> I need your opinion once more.
> In the beginning, we use m0n0wall connected to a cable modem for internet
> connection and connect two sites of our stores to share the internet
> connection using ubiquity Power Bridge and Nano bridge product
> (www.ubnt.com). Here is the schema for the first connection:
>
> First Connection Map:
>
> Internet <--> Cable Modem <--> m0n0wall (With WAN set by DHCP) <--> Main
> Office Switch <--> UBNT Nano Bridge Wireless (As Station WDS) <-----> UBNT
> Power Bridge Wireless (As access point WDS) <--> Branch 1 Soho Switch
>
> With the network map above all things still working and internet works fine.
> Now when I added the 3rd tier, the intranet works, but the internet does not
> work. When I traceroute google from the branch, it seemed that the route
> cannot go out of the branch office.
>
> Here is the new Map
>
> Internet <--> Cable Modem <--> m0n0wall (With WAN set by DHCP)

> Wireless (As Station WDS)
>

> Wireless (As access point WDS) <--> Branch 1 Soho Switch -- PCs (Internet
> does not work, but intranet OK)
>

> Wireless (As Station WDS) <--> Branch 2 Soho Switch -- PCs (Internet does
> not work, but intranet OK)
>
> After new mapping took place, the internet in branch 1 and 2 does not work
> anymore. But intranet works. The wireless supplier blamed m0n0wall for being
> not able to perform and suggest us to buy microtic or cisco router, but I
> still having hard time to access their information. The main office though,
> internet works great.

Your wireless supplier doesn't know what he's talking about :-)
We replaced many old cisco routers by m0n0walls in the past to
archieve BETTER performance.

Ok, now your problem, which actually isn't related to m0n0wall at all,
but this is SUCH A GREAT LIST where everybody always tries to help
others, so lets go :-)
This looks like a gateway problem.
If you do ifconfig (linux or other posix) or ipconfig/all (if you use
windows) in a command line of a computer connected to the AP of
Branch1 or 2, what does it show as gateway?
It should show the m0n0wall internal ip as gateway, if it doesn't
there's something wrong in your network setup.

Furthermore, I think you configured your UBNT hardware wrong and if
you ever get it working like this, it will be pretty low performant.
Remember that wds setups cut bandwidth by 50% at EVERY hop.
According to me you should use something like this:

Main Office Switch <--> UBNT Power Bridge Wireless (As Station)

  (Branch 1) UBNT Nanobridge (As station WDS)
(Branch 2) UBNT Nanobridge (As station wds)

So you connect both sites directly to the main office.
This way you save a hop for branch 2 and you will have a lot better
performance on branch 1 & 2

PS You will not be able to use wifi on any of the sites this way. If
this is necessary, just add an extra AP connected to the SOHO switch.

Hope this helps,
Good luck,

Kind regards
Y.