[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Burgess <apt dot get at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Internet does not reach the branch via wireless
 Date:  Wed, 1 Dec 2010 09:12:50 -0700
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 9:32 PM, GD Incorporation
<rbasuki at gdincorporation dot com> wrote:
> Dear m0n0wall experts
>
> I need your opinion once more.

As Guy pointed out, routing between wireless nodes does cut down on
broadcasts and you should consider doing it. And as Yves pointed out,
with the internet connection (and presumably most intranet traffic)
being through the main office, it would make more sense to have the AP
at the main office with both branches making their wireless
connections back to it.

The above two points notwithstanding, it occurred to me this morning
that although your AP is the middle hop of your current setup, you're
not actually using WDS functionality. The main office and Branch 2 are
both acting as 1-hop clients to Branch 1. Because the internet uplink
is at the main office, Branch 2 clients have to make two hops to get
to the main office or the internet, halving the throughput for them.
Aside from that, your setup should work ok if done correctly. Assuming
you want to make your current setup work with as few changes as
possible, I would recommend trying the following to get it working:

1. Turn off client isolation in the AP if it is turned on.
2. Ensure all UBNT devices are in bridge mode.
3. Turn off the firewall on the UBNT devices if it is on.
4. Turn off WDS mode on all devices, just using AP and STA mode. You
may or may not get dhcp service at BR2 with WDS off. If dhcp works
with it off then I would leave it off.

And not that we aren't happy to try to help, but you will probably get
more expertise if you try the Ubiquiti forums, or the WISP forum at
dslreports.com.

db