[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Egbert Jan van den Bussche <egbert at vandenbussche dot nl>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  how to reach modem om WAN port
 Date:  Wed, 12 Jan 2011 22:45:30 +0100
Hi,

Currently I have the WAN port of my monowall firewall (latest beta 1.33)
comnnected to an ADSL router. The ADSL router gets the outside address.
The link between those two is 192.168.178.0/24. I can reach the ADSL
router fine from the LAN side (192.168.10.0/24) of my monowall fw.

Now, I want to move to a situation where the ADSL router is replaced by
a ADSL modem. The WAN port of the monowall router will be doing PPPoE
and will get the public addresses (IPv4 and IPv6) assigned by that PPP
process from my ISP. But how can I reach the ADSL modem now???

The modem sends syslog data om port 514 which I would like to capture
and I might need to login to the webbased configuration of the modem.

One solution I can think of is assigning a secondary addresss on the WAN
port. There is no way how to do that, though... Is it possible at all,
via the exec interface perhaps? I would be very grateful if somebody has
a working solution for me.

TIA
Egbert Jan (NL)