[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Friedrich K. <ozzycoz at msn dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  [1.32] [low-priority] PPPoE manual disconnect - works but then reconnects automatically
 Date:  Sun, 23 Jan 2011 04:45:50 +1030
Hi all,

I recently upgraded to m0n0wall 1.32 by way of a freshly written generic-pc-image to a USB flash
drive and manual reconfiguration of everything.

I wanted to disconnect my PPPoE session at midnight tonight to check my ISPs usage metering. This is
a rare thing I do, but have done in the past with no problem. Upon hitting disconnect, I noticed
whilst the button showed PPPoE as 'down' and the button changed to 'connect' as it should, the PPPoE
WAN actually reconnected by itself automatically.

My first thought was that I had configured dial-on-demand by mistake, but a quick check of the
config and subsequent version history shows this feature was removed due to some bug and lack of
interest. back in the 1.3 beta days.

I checked the diagnostic log and here is the crux of it:

<point where i click disconnect>
Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] rec'd signal usr2, closing

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] link: CLOSE event

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] LCP: Close event

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] LCP: state change Opened --> Closing

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] AUTH: Accounting data for user : 2192 seconds, 5628643 octets in, 1472407 octets out

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] Bundle up: 0 links, total bandwidth 9600 bps

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] IPCP: Close event

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] IPCP: state change Opened --> Closing

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] IPCP: SendTerminateReq #5

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] error writing len 8 frame to bypass: Network is down

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] IPCP: LayerDown

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] IFACE: Down event

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] IPCP: Down event

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] IPCP: LayerFinish

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] No NCPs left. Closing links...

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] closing link "pppoe"...

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] IPCP: state change Closing --> Initial

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] Last link has gone and no noretry option, will reopen in 4 seconds

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] AUTH: Cleanup

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] LCP: SendTerminateReq #2

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] LCP: LayerDown

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] link: CLOSE event

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] LCP: Close event

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] LCP: rec'd Terminate Ack #2 (Closing)

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] LCP: state change Closing --> Closed

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] LCP: LayerFinish

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] link: DOWN event

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] LCP: Down event

Jan 23 04:34:25
mpd: [pppoe] LCP: state change Closed --> Initial

Jan 23 04:34:29
mpd: [pppoe] Last link has gone and no noretry option, reopening in 3 seconds

Jan 23 04:34:32
mpd: [pppoe] opening link "pppoe"...

Jan 23 04:34:32
mpd: [pppoe] link: OPEN event

Jan 23 04:34:32
mpd: [pppoe] LCP: Open event

Jan 23 04:34:32
mpd: [pppoe] LCP: state change Initial --> Starting

Jan 23 04:34:32
mpd: [pppoe] LCP: LayerStart

Jan 23 04:34:32
mpd: [pppoe] PPPoE: Connecting to 'My ISP'...and so on...

and as you can probably see, it begins the PPPOE negotiation shortly after the disconnect and goes
on to successfully establish the connection automatically.

I did some searching but couldn't find anyone else with this, so perhaps it's just me. I did find
one mention of the PPPoE reconnecting, but I'm not entirely sure of the context of the message:
http://s0.m0n0.ch/wall/list/showmsg.php?id=367/14

Is this normal behaviour for 1.3x? I'm not too worried, but it caught my interest.

Thanks for any feedback.