[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] power consumption: how low can you go?
 Date:  Sun, 13 Mar 2011 15:07:37 -0400
On 03/13/2011 12:40 PM, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> I run m0n0 on an P-II350 with flash, hooked to a VDSL25 line and it typically
> draw around 40 watts.
>
> I think about swapping the old crate out for something less hungry, but that
> would of course mean the savings would have to cover the price in some time.
>
> So - how about an Alix, for example? How much do these draw? Will they be good
> for 128MBit down or even more?

That old system may not be as power hungry as your think...  It is not
much more than your cable box.
http://blog.mapawatt.com/2010/06/13/cable-box-energy-vampire/
http://lancej.blogspot.com/2009/01/cable-box-electricity-consumption-and.html
http://www.homeenergy.org/archive/hem.dis.anl.gov/eehem/99/990510.html
Well, at least parts of it may not be bad.  You already removed the hard
drive.  Start by removing / replacing all the fans.  Old fans gum up and
suck power.  Also newer quiet fans use less power.  Now measure the
wattage.  I am betting it is WAY below the rated wattage of your power
supply, which also is probably not that efficient. (And has an old fan)
  Get a new 80+ power supply rated at 120% of what you run.  Bet you are
down to 25-30 watts, whit little money spent.

			Lee