[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] power consumption: how low can you go?
 Date:  Sun, 13 Mar 2011 15:07:37 -0400
On 03/13/2011 12:40 PM, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> I run m0n0 on an P-II350 with flash, hooked to a VDSL25 line and it typically
> draw around 40 watts.
> I think about swapping the old crate out for something less hungry, but that
> would of course mean the savings would have to cover the price in some time.
> So - how about an Alix, for example? How much do these draw? Will they be good
> for 128MBit down or even more?

That old system may not be as power hungry as your think...  It is not
much more than your cable box.
Well, at least parts of it may not be bad.  You already removed the hard
drive.  Start by removing / replacing all the fans.  Old fans gum up and
suck power.  Also newer quiet fans use less power.  Now measure the
wattage.  I am betting it is WAY below the rated wattage of your power
supply, which also is probably not that efficient. (And has an old fan)
  Get a new 80+ power supply rated at 120% of what you run.  Bet you are
down to 25-30 watts, whit little money spent.