[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  John Smith <jvin248 at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] power consumption: how low can you go?
 Date:  Sun, 13 Mar 2011 16:29:40 -0400
I've had these down around 20-25w.

The boards from Dell/Gateway/HP/etc of this vintage were typically set
up to easily over/under-clock; just look at the motherboard and find a
row of jumpers. Typically Intel made the same board for all the
manufacturers. You can probably pull that down to a 200 or 233Mhz.  Then
maybe turn it into a fanless machine - ymv - put more vents in the case
and store it where it stays cool (like a basement).  As Lee noted, the
power supply may begin to be the biggest drain.

Ensure all non-needed PCI cards like audio, and disk drives, including
floppy if you don't need it, are pulled out.   Can you get by without a
video card? Or at least after initial setup you pull the video card and
store it next to the machine.  Some video cards are energy hogs with
their own fans and big heat sinks.

For quick cost calculation, I just convert the "25W" I get from my
'killawatt' meter into "$25" cost for any item running 24/7.  .. over
the holidays the kids were leaving lights on in the house so I had them
count all the bulbs and use this to figure out their costs - they were
surprised at the potential losses.