[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Brian Lloyd <brian at lloyd dot com>
 To:  Jakob Schwienbacher <jakob dot schwienbacher at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] setting up an IPv6 tunnel
 Date:  Thu, 17 Mar 2011 17:25:15 -0700
On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Jakob Schwienbacher <
jakob dot schwienbacher at gmail dot com> wrote:

> Hello Brian,
>
> I have a static tunnel with tunnelbroker up and running. Configuration
> on WAN side is just:
> IPv6 Mode = Tunnel
> IPv6 Address = 2001:470:12:34::2
> IPv6 tunnel endpoint = 216.66.80.98
>
> Futhermore you need to create a IPv4 Firewall Rule that allows a ping
> from HE. If not the tunnel will not work.

Thank you for responding Jacob.

I do allow ICMP echo request (ping) on my WAN IPv4 interface so that
*should* work.

I also notice you are not specifying the IPv6 address on the WAN interface.
I would expect that I have to specify that as well unless I am using
something like PPP (I'm not). I have set the near end (client) IPv6 address
into the IPv6 address field. M0n0wall is not allowing me to set the value
for the IPv6 gateway. I assume that is because that is implied by specifying
the IPv4 tunnel endpoint. (It makes sense to me that it doesn't matter what
the IPv6 address of the tunnel endpoint is because that is where the packets
are going regardless.)

Now the question is, how does one set up the LAN side of things? My tunnel
broker provides both /48 and /64 routed IPv6 prefixes. I assigned the first
address in my /64 routed IPv6 prefix to the LAN interface, i.e. prefix
is 2001:470:1f05:d49::/64
so IPv6 address of my LAN interface is 2001:470:1f05:d49::1.

Not sure what I should do with the IPv6 prefix delegation. Also the
"Suggested IPv6 Address" produces an error, i.e. "Error calculating IPv6
Address!" Clearly I am doing something wrong here. I suspect it may be due
to my confusion over using the Routed /48 prefix and the Routed /64 prefix.

Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.
Cameron Park, CA 95682
brian at lloyd dot com