[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Brian Lloyd <brian dash wb6rqn at lloyd dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: setting up an IPv6 tunnel
 Date:  Fri, 18 Mar 2011 15:47:19 -0700
On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 7:34 AM, Brian Lloyd <brian dash wb6rqn at lloyd dot com> wrote:

> One thing I just discovered is that I never added a firewall rule to pass
> anything on the LAN side. (It has been a long time since I started m0n0wall
> from scratch on a system.) I assumed (erroneously) that the firewall would
> pass all traffic unless configured otherwise. I suspect that might have an
> effect. ;-) I have now done so and will work on this again when I reach
> school.

Apparently I had everything properly set up. I had just forgotten to add a
rule to permit IPv6 traffic through the firewall. It now passes most of the
tests (I am getting variable results). It complains about large packets (I
suspect MTU) and DNS. Since DNS passes some of the time I suspect that not
all the name servers I use support IPv6.

>> If the tunnel is established try to run test-ipv6.com. I had some
>> troubles with MTU.
>>

> I would expect MTU issues on a tunnel. Either fragmentation needs to be
> enabled or the IPv4 MTU needs to be large enough to allow for the IPv6
> header overhead in the IPv4 tunnel payload.

What did you end up setting your MTU to? The IPv6 header is 40 octets and
the minimum MTU is 1280 so I would expect that a default IPv4 MTU of 1500
should be sufficient. What did you find?

> Now back to repairing the furnace in my house. (It seems that everything
> breaks at once.)

For those of you waiting in breathless anticipation of whether or not my
house will have heat, I was able to repair my furnace. It turned out to be a
bad solder joint on the control board where the fan relay plugs in.

--
Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
3191 Western Dr.