[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Nicholas Humfrey <njh at aelius dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  egbert at vandenbussche dot nl
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Adding static IP to WAN interface in PPPoE mode?
 Date:  Mon, 21 Mar 2011 23:33:37 +0000
On 20 Mar 2011, at 16:49, Egbert Jan van den Bussche wrote:

> Op 20-3-2011 17:35, Nicholas Humfrey schreef:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a Soekris net4801 board that I am running m0n0wall version 1.33 on. I tried m0n0wall years
ago but moved away to Voyage Linux due to the lack of IPv6 support. Now that m0no0wall supports
IPv6, I am giving it another go and it seems to be working well, thanks!

>> I have a ZyXEL P-660R-D1 ADSL modem, configured in bridge mode, that is connected directly to
m0n0wall's WAN interface. The WAN interface is configured in PPPoE client mode.

>> Is there any way to configure a static IPv4 address on the WAN ethernet port, so that I can
connect to the modem's admin interface from my LAN, without having to de-configure the PPPoE client?
If not using the web interface, perhaps through manual editing of config.xml?

> Yes. This is possible but not via the web interface.
> You need to add a shell command to the .xml file to add an alias interface.
> Furter more jou need to switch on advanced NAT mode and define two Nat rules.
> You might need a static route in your modem to tell it the way to your LAN.
> This had been on the list on 20-1-2011 posted bij Anders Hagman. I'm still using his wonderful
explanation.

Thank you for your reply Egbert.

For reference, Anders' email is here:
http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/showmsg.php?id=368/08

Using the shell command works:
<shellcmd>ifconfig sis1 192.168.1.2/24 alias</shellcmd>

And successfully configured my ADSL modem to use m0n0wall as its default route - all working great!

However I was wondering why setting a <secondary> IP in config.xml was't working, so had a look at
the source code of interfaces.inc and it doesn't look like it is possible to do, due to a lack of
call to:
interfaces_secondaries_configure('wan');

I guess this is deliberate -  is there a particular reason?

Thanks,

nick.