[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James L. Lauser" <james at jlauser dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  em driver performance
 Date:  Sun, 01 May 2011 16:28:11 -0400
Hi.

I have a m0n0wall system configured with a Pentium III 933 MHz CPU and
three network interfaces (Intel Pro/100 (fxp driver) for the WAN, and a
dual-interface Pro/1000 (em driver) for the LAN and DMZ).  When
transferring data between the LAN and DMZ subnets, I'm seeing somewhat
odd performance.

With polling _OFF_, I can move about 200 Mbits/sec (clocked with iperf)
between subnets before pegging the CPU.  This is not completely
unexpected.  When I turn polling on, however, throughput DROPS to about
140 Mbits/sec, with CPU topping out at about 60%.

For a point of comparison, if I go to exec.php and run 'sysctl
kern.polling.idle_poll=1' with polling enabled, throughput increases
back up to 200 Mbits/sec, but leaving this setting on is undesirable, as
CPU utilization is pegged at 100% all the time, which results in a
significant increase in power consumption and heat generation.

Has anyone else seen performance like this, and if so, and suggestions
on improving it?  Thanks.
--
-- James L. Lauser
    james at jlauser dot net