[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Jim Spaloss <jspaloss at gmail dot com>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Dropped Traffic on IPSec VPN after switching ISPs
 Date:  Tue, 12 Apr 2011 18:26:06 -0400
On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Jim Spaloss <jspaloss at gmail dot com> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have a m0n0wall to m0n0wall VPN IPSec VPN that worked wonderfully for
> > several years. The link is between two nursing home facilities that are
> > about 100 miles apart. One has an 8M/2M cable modem service (Comcast),
> the
> > other had a 1.5M/384K DSL service (Verizon). Both sides have static IPs.
> >
> > I finally got the management to agree switch out the DSL for a much
> faster
> > 30M/5M Cable Service (Optimum) on the one side. However, after switching,
> my
> > users immediately began to complain about dropped/slow connections across
> > the VPN, and "I thought this was supposed to be faster."
> >
> > I tried allowing fragmented IPSec traffic, but that really didn't help.
> >
> > I began experimenting with lowering the MTU across the tunnel, and found
> > that a significant portion of my traffic was being dropped. The sweet
> spot
> > seems to be 1418 (1419 drops some traffic). I went searching for a way
> > to permanently lower the tunnel's MTU, but all I could find was a post
> where
> > the recommendation was to lower the MTU of the WAN interface via ifconfig
> in
> > a <shellcmd> tag. That seems to make the connection better in my initial
> > testing, but I can't help but think that there is a better way.
> >
> > Most of my user base is in Comcast Territory so I have little experience
> > with Optimum online. I've never had to change a MTU setting on Comcast
> > before. Can anyone tell me if this is normal for Optimum Online? (Cisco
> > Router + Cable Modem w/ 5 Static IPs)
> >
> That's very unusual, the opposite of what problem I would expect.
> Cable has a normal 1500 MTU (or should) where DSL has the overhead of
> PPPoE which can cause issues like you're seeing. So you should have
> had the problem before switching, not after. :) The MTU box on WAN
> enables MSS clamping so you can set the lower MTU there and that
> should work around it, though I don't recall for sure offhand if that
> also impacts traffic traversing IPsec. If not you may need the
> <shellcmd> to actually lower the WAN interface MTU.
> OpenVPN works around those issues by using MSS clamping on traffic
> traversing that connection only.
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: m0n0wall dash unsubscribe at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
> For additional commands, e-mail: m0n0wall dash help at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
> That was my thought as well, although I thought that PPPoE didn't apply to
DSL w/ static IP (it it's still there, I couldn't see it).

I did end up lowering the MTU on the WAN to 1400 by <shellcmd> and initially
it seemed to be better, but the next day, the users were complaining again.

I guess I'll try calling the ISP first, but I may have to take a trip up
there to make the switch to PFSense, if OpenVPN is my best option.