[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Brandon Holland" <brandon at cookssaw dot com>
 To:  "'Bosse Timothy'" <Bosse dot tf at mellon dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Windows Messenger for MS Exchange
 Date:  Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:49:24 -0600

I was under the impression that my m0n0wall config or a component to the
distro (such as the dns forwarder) is somehow surfacing an
incompatibility with windows messenger since I wouldn't understand why
it'd seem logical or understandable that a local company wide messenger
service effectively becomes useless while our WAN is down.

I'll unhook m0n0 next time our internet goes down to see if the problem
disappears.

Part of my reasoning here is that ICMP replies are returned by m0n0wall
when ping requests would otherwise say "Requset Timed Out"  Could that
be giving Windows Messenger false hope?

Hoping that someone may have experienced this problem with m0n0, I
asked.

I've seen people ask on m0n0 about kazaa and other problems they assume
(sometimes falsely, sometimes correctly) that m0n0 or its config is
causing the problem.

> Secondly, do you allow people to use .net accounts in addition to
> Exchange IM services?  Assuming that your exchange server is on your
> local network, the only other option that might cause a problem is if
> you allow .net contacts (check preferences for IM).  If they have any
> .net or outside contacts, when the wireless side goes down, you will
> lose the connection to the IM server located outside of your network,
> thus the "lag."

No, we do not.  This is strictly local.

<http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?city=newton&state=AL&address=160+k