[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] via pc ?
 Date:  Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:12:14 +1000
Hi Barry,

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 14:26, Barry Mather wrote:
> Anyone tried installing m0n0wall on one of the embedded via pc's ???
>
> For something like $200 to get an 800mhz embedded pc, with 256mb of ram,
> I'm thinking that m0n0wall would perform extremely well, I only ask as I
> run 20 or so ipsec tunnels and would be useful to have a software
> firewall performing at hardware encryption speeds.

As the song says (however, slightly paraphrased)...

"I'm counting the NICS - 1..."  and that's where they stop - just a
single NIC and just a single PCI slot.  Well, most of them stop at that
- some have multiple NICs, but you need to be CAREFUL when you buy these
to check the NIC situation.

Also, you need an IDE -> CF adapter if you want to run it driveless, and
somewhere to mount this.  Alternatively you can look for the EPIA board
with an onboard CF slot.  But then the NIC situation comes into play
again.

Its not *really* embedded.  But close.

--

Regards,