[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] XP PPTP Issue
 Date:  Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:12:41 +1000
Hi David,

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 18:48, David Cook wrote:
> > Do you mean that the inbuilt Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP
> > Professional IPSEC clients work directly to m0n0wall's IPSEC server for
> > roaming users?  Or do you mean that third party commercial clients,
> > such as SecureRemote work?  If its the default Windows client, then
> > that's great, but if it is only 3rd party clients, then we still need
> > to find a way to get the default clients working properly, as these 3rd
> > party clients are rather expensive.

> This can be done, but it is a fiddly job (14 multipart steps) and requires
> static IPs at both ends of the tunnel.

That's fine.  I was asking for a way to achieve it, regardless of the
fiddliness.

> I have seen two guides for this, one came with SmoothTunnel (blush, how much
> did we pay for that?!), the other was written by Tim Higgins on
> SmallNetBuilder.com (now Tom's Networking, part of TomsHardware.com).

The SmoothTunnel Guide will result in a Windows XP Pro box that cannot
contact the remote LAN, but any machines connected to this XP box can
connect thru it to the remote LAN.  This was a limitation that the good
SmoothWall folks found with the inbuilt XP Client.

> ProblemSolver: WinXP's IPsec client really can work!
> http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/Sections-article54-page1.php

I'll have a look into this solution.  Hopefully its better - more
functional - than the SmoothWall one and actually allows an XP road
warrior to use the inbuilt client *properly*.

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/