[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "John Schuricht" <jschuricht at anscv dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  High ping times to monowall box
 Date:  Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:22:59 -0800
I am having a weird problem that I have yet to find an answer to. My
configuration is a SOHO COX cable connection 3.2/256 static IP w/ a Toshiba
PCX1100 connected to a NET4801 running Monowall. The 4801 is connected to a
24port gigabit Dell switch. When there is little or no web traffic, I can
ping the monowall box (192.168.0.2) w/ a constant ping of <1ms from any
computer on my LAN. When I start downloading stuff often using Binary News
Reaper 2 using 4 pipes to each of 3 COX servers, I can max my downstream
out, but it seems to have a weird affect on the monowall box. When my
downstream is @ or near max, the monowall box will only respond to the
machine running BNR2. All other clients' pings are dropped, and the client
running BNR2 has pings of 100-200ms, I cannot even get the webGUI to load.
After pausing the downloads, I have observed load averages: 1.22, 0.41, 0.36
and higher, don't know what the loads should be thou.

I have been running monowall for about a week so I have only run v.1.0. The
only configuration settings I have made so far besides setting IP addresses
are: turning off dhcp server, and opening ports 21, 80, 110, 143, 25 and
6881-6999. WAN is set to port 0, LAN to port 1, no wireless cards have been
added.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-John