[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Cook <david dot cook at jetpress dot com>
 To:  M0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>, "'bloo at sveiks dot lv'" <bloo at sveiks dot lv>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Public IP's on LAN
 Date:  Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:38:01 -0000
If you simply want to route from subnet to subnet, m0n0wall will work fine
with two interfaces. I suppose this isn't really what Manuel had in mind
when he created m0n0wall, but that's not to say it couldn't/shouldn't be
used in this way. There is no need for three or more interfaces unless you
wanted to route between more than two subnets or create bridged interfaces
as described.

As advised earlier in the thread, enable 'Advanced Outbound NAT'. This
changes the default behaviour of m0n0wall to route traffic and only NAT
traffic when explicitly configured to do so. Also note that the firewall
blocks traffic that isn't explicitly allowed by a rule and the firewall
cannot be disabled in the current versions. If you want no packet filtering,
create an 'Interface -> Any, Allow' rule for each configured interface.

As default all administration has to performed using HTTP/HTTPS on the LAN
interface. Sounds like in your scenario the LAN interface is going to be an
arbitrary description and you could do with being able to access the GUI
from all interfaces for convenience. I believe it is possible to configure
m0n0wall to allow access to the GUI from the other interfaces but I haven't
got any specific information on that. Probably something along the lines of
creating a rule allowing traffic on ports 80/443 from the interface that
have a destination of the LAN IP. I'm going to test this for myself later
but in the meantime can anybody confirm this?

JET PRESS LIMITED
Nunn Close
Huthwaite
Nottinghamshire
NG17 2HW
UK

Web:	www.jetpress.com
Tel:	+44-1623-551 800
Fax: 	+44-1623-551 175

Confidentiality Notice
This message and its contents are confidential.  The contents are solely for the attention of the
recipient(s) named above and any unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution is forbidden.  If
you are not the recipient named above, please contact the sender immediately and destroy this
message.  The views expressed in this message are those of the sender and not necessarily those of
JET PRESS LIMITED.