[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  David Cook <david dot cook at jetpress dot com>
 To:  "'m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Public IP's on LAN
 Date:  Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:34:11 -0000
> This is what I had thought initially, but it seems I can't use the
> 64.xxx.28.198 as an address. The SDSL router is 64.xxx.28.197, but if I
> try to use 64.xxx.28.198 with the above information, I get nothing. I
> can't ping the 64.xxx.28.197 gateway or the internet. Should I be able
> to use 64.xxx.28.198?

> All I can figure is that 64.xxx.28.198 is not meant to be used by me. I
> can use any of the LAN addresses without a problem, but I don't know
> how I should set this up if LAN addresses are all I can use. In my
> initial e-mail someone mentioned having to have the WAN and LAN in
> different subnets. Is there a way I could do that? Could I ask my ISP
> to do something to make this easier?

> Thanks!
> Aaron

Aaron,

I think I know what is going on here. Looking at the information that the
ISP has supplied ....

> IP address:      64.xxx.28.198
> subnet mask:     255.255.255.252
> gateway address: 64.xxx.28.197
>
> LAN IP Addresses (if any)
> -------------------------
> LAN subnet:      255.255.255.240
> Starting IP:     64.xxx.26.176
> First Usable IP: 64.xxx.26.178

.... I'm guessing this is the configuration they anticipated you to use:

		ISP Network
	-----------------------
	Gateway (on ISP Network)
		64.xxx.28.197/30

		(xDSL Network)

		64.xxx.28.198/30
		xDSL Interface
	-----------------------
		Your SDSL Router
	-----------------------
		Ethernet Interface
		64.xxx.26.177/28

		Your LAN
	64.xxx.26.178 - 190/28

To clarify their info:

> LAN subnet:      255.255.255.240
> Starting IP:     64.xxx.26.176

64.xxx.26.176 is the network address, this identifies the subnet and is
unavailable for assigning to an interface.

> First Usable IP: 64.xxx.26.178

64.xxx.26.178 is the first uasble IP address on your LAN assuming you assign
64.xxx.26.177 to the LAN (inside) interface of the router. You then have all
the addresses upto and including 64.xxx.26.190 for use on the LAN.
64.xxx.26.191 is the LAN broadcast address.

If this is correct, using m0n0wall as a firewall there are a number of
options available to you to make best use of the assigned public IP
addresses relevant to the size/configuration of your network. How did you
want to use these addresses?

JET PRESS LIMITED
Nunn Close
Huthwaite
Nottinghamshire
NG17 2HW
UK

Web:	www.jetpress.com
Tel:	+44-1623-551 800
Fax: 	+44-1623-551 175

Confidentiality Notice
This message and its contents are confidential.  The contents are solely for the attention of the
recipient(s) named above and any unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution is forbidden.  If
you are not the recipient named above, please contact the sender immediately and destroy this
message.  The views expressed in this message are those of the sender and not necessarily those of
JET PRESS LIMITED.