[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Date:  Wed, 25 Feb 2004 20:40:07 +1000
Hi Manuel,

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 19:46, Manuel Kasper wrote:
> Hi Tomas,
>
> On 25.02.2004 10:18 +0100 Tomas Smedberg wrote:
>
> > I wonder why we don't use a Forum instead of mailinglists?
> > What do you people think of this?
>
> This has been discussed before (search the archives) - we're not
> going to do it, because some people (including me) don't want to have
> to check dozens of different web forums for open source projects
> they're interested in every day for new messages. Besides, there's
> the digest for those who don't want 30+ messages per day in their
> inbox (and can't filter them into separate folders).

Hear hear!  I hate the idea of a forum instead of a mailing list.  Of
course, others may have a different opinion, but they are wrong!  :)

> > Would you be interested if I set up a phpBB forum for you Manuel?
>
> No thanks - setting it up is not the problem; s0.m0n0.ch has ample
> reserves and already runs PHP for other things - it's just that I
> don't want a web forum.

Forums are handy for user -> user support, but are totally inappropriate
(my (correct) opinion here) where serious discussions need to take
place.  Having to read through multiple threads in forum format is more
time consuming than any email list could ever aspire to.  :)

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/