[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Andrew Lewis <andrew at coastal dot com>
 To:  "Brandon W. Holland" <Brandon at cookssaw dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] IDS integration w/m0n0wall?
 Date:  Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:14:29 -0500
Brandon W. Holland wrote:
> Think about it like this:
>
> A bridge is a two port network switch.
>
> You just need to use a basic passive hub (in the old days called a
> multiport repeater) to do it.  I've seen Ys for cat 5, that might work
> too.

Keep in mind that once you start approaching line speed on the
full-duplex interfaces things break down.  Unless you're using something
like a tap.

For half duplex you are probably ok.

The downside to half duplex and multiple interfaces is timing based on
collisions.  If you choose to install an ID on both the WAN and LAN
sides of the m0n0wall unit to determine which attacks make it through
timing will be critical to actually match things up.  Assuming there's
sufficient load anyway.