[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Alexandre Gambati" <gambati at hotmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, gambati at hotmail dot com
 Subject:  Network Layout
 Date:  Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:45:33 +0000
Dear Friends,

I plain to change my network layout and i would need some techinical
opinions from you.  I run a small ISP which basic infraestruture consists of
two M0n0wall boxes.

Actual Network layout is:

            (BSS1 stations)       (BSS stations)

                                 \       /

                                  \     /

                               (HostAP1)
I-NET

    |                                                  (80 meters UTP cable)
                          |
| DSL |---------| M0n0_1
|------(HUB)----------------------------------------(HUB)-------| M0n0_2 |

                                       (stations)
    (stations, servers)

Where:

M0n0_1 is the firewall/router/Traffic Shaper/DHCP/etc (1 Wan + 1 LAN):

M0n0_2 is a Wireless Bridge (1 LAN bridged with 1 OPT1 (DWL 520 rev. B,
HostAP Mode))

So, I plain to remove the 80 meters UTP cable which cross my street.  I
guess, but i'm not sure, I could use another wireless card in M0n0_1 in BSS
mode to associate it with M0n0_2 through it's HostAP mode Card.  That new
card will be bridged with LAN of Router (M0n0_1).

New Network Layout will be like that:

            (BSS1 stations)       (BSS stations)

                                 \       /

                                  \     /
                       (BSS Card)-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
-   -   -   -   -   -   (HostAP1)
I-NET                  |

(HUB)-------| M0n0_2 |

                                       (stations)
    (stations, servers)

Will it work?  There's some issues with this config?  Somebody already try
something like this?

Pardon me if my problem is not too clear and thanks everyone in advance.