[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] FW Rules to allow MSN / windows Messenger Voice
 Date:  Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:02:52 +1000
Hi Jonathon,

First, your quoting is in desperate need of addressing - the quoted text
is not any different from your new text, and there should be some
differentiation for clarity.

Now, as for UPnP, I'm all for it.  Unfortunately, UPnP is a Microsoft
invention, but it makes like in small businesses (and homes) much
easier.  I'm not so concerned about passing MSN Voice/Video out using
it, but that is a thing that a lot of people want to do.

The reason I'd like to see UPnP implemented is because many businesses
run a Windows-based network, with Windows Server and ISA Server.  ISA
Server can configure hardware firewalls (or software based standalone
firewalls) if these devices have implemented UPnP.  Especially for the
SMB space, this is quite useful as most SMBs don't have tech staff on
hand to be able to manually open and close firewall ports as
needed/required.  UPnP implementation in m0n0wall would work NICELY with
MS ISA Server in this respect, and therefore open m0n0wall up to a whole
new world of users.

Regards,
HiltonT

--