[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Teunissen <lists at onemanifest dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] strange behavior with m0n0wall, PPPoE and Netgear Powerline connection.
 Date:  Mon, 7 Nov 2011 22:12:03 +0100
I'm running on a PIII 1Ghz. I just checked the speed test monitoring the CPU. It only goes slightly
over 25% CPU. So I think CPU performance isn't the culprit. Also, when directly connected to the FTU
by a cable, I get latency 7ms and 50+Mb up/down. It really has to do with being connect through the
Powerline connectors while using PPPoE.

Peter

On 7 nov. 2011, at 22:01, James L. Lauser wrote:

> What kind of hardware is your m0n0wall running on?  It's possible that
> it's simply not fast enough to do the PPPoE encapsulation at that data
> rate.  Take a look at the CPU utilization graph while trying to stress
> your connection.  If you're pegging the CPU, you need a faster device.
>
> --  James L. Lauser
>     james at jlauser dot net
>     http://jlauser.net/
>

> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 15:54, Peter Teunissen <lists at onemanifest dot net> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>

>> I've got an issue with m0n0wall and PPPoE that I can't explain.
>>
>> - I have FTTH, 50Mb up/down, dual stack, connection is through PPPoE
>> - When used with the ISP supplied router, I get 7ms latency, and 50Mb up/down
>> - When m0n0wall is connected directly to the FTU with a cable and responsible for setting up the
PPPoE, I get latency 7ms, 50+ up/down
>> - When the setup is FTU > ISP router > Netgear powerline 500's > m0n0wall (static IP's on the
m0n0wall) I still get a latency of 7 ms, only speed is about 48Mb, due to the Powerline connectors.
>> - when testing the Netgear Powerline 500's separately, they perform consistently at about 48Mb
with no dicernable effect on latency.

>> Now the surprise, when I connect the m0n0wall directly to the FTU, having it create the PPPoE by
itself, but using the Netgear Powerlines instead of a cable, latency goes up to 25+ms and speeds are
down to about 27Mb up/down.

>> I'd think this can't be caused by the Powerlines, since they perform fine by themselves and in
combination with the ISP supplied router. Somehow, m0n0wall responds to the Powerline connection
when using PPPoE instead of a static IP.

>> What kind of auto configuration does m0n0wall do when setting up PPPoE? It seems to somehow
respond differently to the FTU's ethernet socket than to those of the Netgear Powerline.

>> I'm quite clueless about this. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look for an
explanation or what to try to get m0n0wall to perform better in this setup?