[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Teunissen <lists at onemanifest dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] strange behavior with m0n0wall, PPPoE and Netgear Powerline connection.
 Date:  Mon, 7 Nov 2011 23:08:52 +0100
Tried lowering the PPPoE MTU setting. Tested with the default 1492, 1400 and 1200. No significant
changes is speed, latency is the same. I don't know what an E packet is, so I can't tell whether
it's different :-)

On 7 nov. 2011, at 22:30, Eddie Pounce wrote:

> Long shot:  MTU?  or something - packet being split?
> 	They don't handle PPOE well (is the E packet formatted differently from normal?)?
>
> On 07/11/2011 21:12, Peter Teunissen wrote:
>> I'm running on a PIII 1Ghz. I just checked the speed test monitoring the CPU. It only goes
slightly over 25% CPU. So I think CPU performance isn't the culprit. Also, when directly connected
to the FTU by a cable, I get latency 7ms and 50+Mb up/down. It really has to do with being connect
through the Powerline connectors while using PPPoE.

>> Peter
>>

>> On 7 nov. 2011, at 22:01, James L. Lauser wrote:
>>
>>> What kind of hardware is your m0n0wall running on?  It's possible that
>>> it's simply not fast enough to do the PPPoE encapsulation at that data
>>> rate.  Take a look at the CPU utilization graph while trying to stress
>>> your connection.  If you're pegging the CPU, you need a faster device.
>>>
>>> --  James L. Lauser
>>>   james at jlauser dot net
>>>   http://jlauser.net/

the PPPoE, I get latency 7ms, 50+ up/down
m0n0wall) I still get a latency of 7 ms, only speed is about 48Mb, due to the Powerline connectors.
with no dicernable effect on latency.

by itself, but using the Netgear Powerlines instead of a cable, latency goes up to 25+ms and speeds
are down to about 27Mb up/down.

combination with the ISP supplied router. Somehow, m0n0wall responds to the Powerline connection
when using PPPoE instead of a static IP.

respond differently to the FTU's ethernet socket than to those of the Netgear Powerline.

explanation or what to try to get m0n0wall to perform better in this setup?