[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] strange behavior with m0n0wall, PPPoE and Netgear Powerline connection.
 Date:  Thu, 10 Nov 2011 21:44:01 -0500
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 9:19 PM, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org> wrote:
> On 11/10/2011 05:45 PM, Peter Teunissen wrote:
>>
>> Even better! I opened up de firewall for ICMP type 3 and set the m0n0wall
>> PPPoE MTU to 1435. The download speed is now on the maximum the Powerline
>> adapters are able to handle. Even upload is increasing slightly. Ping
>> remains the same.
>>
>> I think I need to do some reading on this MSS, PMTU, MTU and TCP frames.
>> Does anyone have a link to a useful networking primer? I mean, more that
>> wikipedia can deliver, but not a whole book?
>
> I can dig up a lot of old stuff on this, but to be honest, I recommend
> putting that effort into IPv6 as it is coming, and m0n0wall supports it.

I wouldn't discard IPv4 given it's going to be a very long time until
it goes away and it probably won't go away entirely in any of our
lifetimes, though it will probably no longer exist on the Internet
within most of our lifetimes. Plus a good deal of IPv6 info assumes
IPv4 knowledge, or is easier to comprehend if you have it. If you
don't plan on starting your career for 15 years, by all means focus on
IPv6 only. For the near future, you're going to need to know both, and
there's enough overlap that it makes sense to know both anyway. Just
definitely don't be one of those people who ignores IPv6 until having
an urgent requirement to deploy it (which will come, eventually,
though it'll probably be a while for the vast majority).