[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Teunissen <lists at onemanifest dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] strange behavior with m0n0wall, PPPoE and Netgear Powerline connection.
 Date:  Fri, 11 Nov 2011 09:40:41 +0100
On 11 nov. 2011, at 03:44, Chris Buechler wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 9:19 PM, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org> wrote:
>> On 11/10/2011 05:45 PM, Peter Teunissen wrote:
>>>
>>> Even better! I opened up de firewall for ICMP type 3 and set the m0n0wall
>>> PPPoE MTU to 1435. The download speed is now on the maximum the Powerline
>>> adapters are able to handle. Even upload is increasing slightly. Ping
>>> remains the same.
>>>
>>> I think I need to do some reading on this MSS, PMTU, MTU and TCP frames.
>>> Does anyone have a link to a useful networking primer? I mean, more that
>>> wikipedia can deliver, but not a whole book?
>>
>> I can dig up a lot of old stuff on this, but to be honest, I recommend
>> putting that effort into IPv6 as it is coming, and m0n0wall supports it.
>>

> I wouldn't discard IPv4 given it's going to be a very long time until
> it goes away and it probably won't go away entirely in any of our
> lifetimes, though it will probably no longer exist on the Internet
> within most of our lifetimes. Plus a good deal of IPv6 info assumes
> IPv4 knowledge, or is easier to comprehend if you have it. If you
> don't plan on starting your career for 15 years, by all means focus on
> IPv6 only. For the near future, you're going to need to know both, and
> there's enough overlap that it makes sense to know both anyway. Just
> definitely don't be one of those people who ignores IPv6 until having
> an urgent requirement to deploy it (which will come, eventually,
> though it'll probably be a while for the vast majority).

That's why I'm running dual stack ever since m0n0wall started supporting it. But unfortunately using
the internet means ipv4, over a single NAT-ed ip. So, yes I need to learn some more on networking,
and that means both ipv4 and ipv6.

So, to rephrase my question, any links to a good networking primer on both ipv4 and ipv6 are
welcome.

Peter