[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "lextre at trelex dot co dot uk" <lextre at trelex dot co dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Disabling NAT
 Date:  Thu, 15 Dec 2011 08:09:44 -0500
Thanks guys for the replies. The suggestions will certainly help me should
I need to do some more
detailed port mappings and rules creation. I'm still awaiting a response
from the other organisation
regarding the exact requirements and will take it from there. I have
another question though - is it
actually possible for an ISP provided router to run some form of NAT on the
public ip and if so in what
scenarios would this be required? Eg, we have a router provided by our ISP
with a number of static ip
addresses. Our m0n0wall is our firewall/router acting as the gateway for
the LAN clients.

workstations -> m0nowall -> Provider's router -> Internet

So, in the above simple example our internal LAN clients connect to the
internet and each of the
workstation's ip address will be translated into the single public ip of
the WAN interface. As our ISP has
provided us with a pool of ip addresses to use is it possible that the
ISP's router could perform some
form of NAT on the address coming from the WAN address of m0n0wall?

I know this is NOT happening in our case I was just wondering if their is
equipment out there which may
do this and what would be the purpose/benfit of doing so.

Thanks again.