[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "GD Incorporation" <golddragoninc at gmail dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Pass-through MAC vs Allowed IP Address
 Date:  Fri, 23 Dec 2011 23:46:51 +0700
Dear all Monowallist

I have one thing in mind that keeps bugging me. In m0n0wall, when it is
freshly installed, the Pass-through MAC list will work flawlessly. But give
it some time; it seems that somehow some computer's macs cannot pass the
firewall to the Internet even if there is already pass-through Mac list for
that particular computer.

This happened to all kinds of PC or mac, connecting via wireless or cable,
using static IP or DHCP (My DHCP uses m0n0wall DHCP Server). So, to pass the
firewall, one person (I forgot who) suggested me to list the IP of the
computer that is allowed to pass the firewall without password in the
Allowed IP Address column.

Three things bother me,

1.       If this computer happened to be computer that uses DHCP, then I
would have to make that computer's IP static first or reserved and IP in the
DHCP Server before I can use Allowed IP address list.

2.       I cannot track his/her internet usage with allowed IP address, only
with Pass-through MAC can.

3.       The purpose of having pass-through MAC list is defeated by the
Allowed IP Address List. For my need, I prefer to have Pass-through MAC list
over the Allowed IP list since pass-through MAC can detect user usage.

The question: Is there any way to fix this pass through mac problem other
than use the allowed IP List? Maybe there are some clogged memory that
somehow made m0n0wall thinks that the rules in Pass-through MAC list is not
valid??

So far, if this issue happened to too many PC, I would just reinstall the
m0n0wall ISO, but I hate having to re-setting the Firewall settings, etc.

Any help?

Thanks

Rendra